Is the fingerprint sensor not working on your Windows 11 computer? Well, many users have already reported the problem on several Microsoft community forums.
The issue can be a temporary one. However, whether it’s your smartphone or laptop’s fingerprint scanner, it won’t work most of the time if your finger is not clean and dry. Thus as soon as you find that your Windows 11 fingerprint sensor is not working, you need to recheck if you are touching the sensor with a dry, clean finger.
However, sometimes it does not work due to some underlying issues. An outdated Windows version, a driver error, or faulty hardware can also be behind this. Whatever the reason is, if the fingerprint sensor on your Windows 11 computer is not working at all, this article is going to help you. Check out
Why is My Fingerprint Sensor Not Working in Windows 11?
There are many reasons you might encounter the Windows 11 fingerprint unavailable error. The first one is that your fingerprint sensor hasn’t been cleaned in months, and if that’s the case, then clean it immediately with a soft clean cloth. But there can be other situations when the fingerprint sensor stops working. Here we have explained each possible scenario:
1- Driver error
If cleaning your fingerprint scanner is not enough, you can update your system drivers and check if the scanner is working properly. Drivers are the main component that establish connection between the hardware and the OS. If the fingerprint driver is outdated, the scanner will simply won’t work.
2- Outdated OS version
An outdated operating system can cause many problems on your PC. Especially, with Windows 11 since the stable version is yet to launch for all computers Microsoft releases cumulative updates from time to time. This updates ensure that your system is working without flaws. So if you are running an outdated OS version, there is a chance that your fingerprint sensor isn’t working because of that.
3- Virus issues
Virus and malware can corrupt your important system files, and as a result, the fingerprint scanner might not work. You can use antivirus software on your computer to get rid of the problem in such a scenario.
The reasons why your fingerprint sensor is not working are not bound to these three only. No matter what causing the issue let’s discuss some resolutions so that you can get out of the problem right away.
How to fix the Fingerprint sensor unavailable error on Windows 11?
There are four easy methods to resolve the problem. Try the fixes we have mentioned below one by one.
Method 1: Update Your Windows 11
Microsoft has reported that the fingerprint sensor not working error has been fixed with a new Windows 11 update. But not every Windows system is suitable for the new Windows 11 version. You can find out if your computer is compatible with Windows 11 update by following the steps below.
- Press the Windows key+I, and Windows Settings will appear.
- Click on Windows update from the left pane window.
- Now click on the option Check for Updates. If your system is up to date, it will show you a green tick mark, but if not, you will see a red cross sign.
- Once checked, you can download the updates, and your system will automatically install them.
- Restart your computer to apply the new updates.
When your system reboots, you will probably find the fingerprint sensor is working just fine. But if the issue persists, then move forward with the next method.
Method 2: Enable Biometrics Services
If you have ever disabled the biometrics services on your system, your fingerprint sensor won’t work. You may check if biometrics is enabled by following the steps below:
- Click on the search icon on the taskbar and search Services.
- Now click on Services from the result.
- In the Services (Local) window, find Windows Biometric Service on the list.
- Right-click on Windows Biometric Service and select Properties.
- Choose the Startup type to Automatic from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Start, and Windows Biometric Service will start
- Now click on Apply and click on OK.
Now the Windows 11 biometric service will be enabled. If the above method does not seem to work and your fingerprint sensor is not working at all, try the other method below.
Method 3: Add another Fingerprint
You may try adding another fingerprint on scanner data and check if that works. Here are the steps you need to follow to add a fingerprint on Windows 11.
- Press Windows key +X on your keyborad and select Settings from the list.
- As the Settings windows open, click on the Accounts tab from the left pane
- Now, click on the Sign-in options and select Fingerprint recognition (Windows Hello)
- Then click on the Add a finger button beside the option Set up another finger
- As the Windows Hello setup window opens, click on the Get started button
- Now, put your security PIN and hit the Enter button
- Then, touch your fingerprint scanner, and go right through the process as per the instruction on the screen
Check if adding another fingerprint resolves the issue. If the problem persists, you must move on with the next solution.
Method 4: Reinstall Fingerprint Drivers
Uninstalling and reinstalling the fingerprint drivers may permanently resolve the problem. Especially if the fingerprint scanner on your computer is not working because of a corrupted or outdated system driver. Follow the steps below to uninstall the fingerprint driver on your PC.
- Press Windows + R keys on your keyboard and open the Run box.
- Type devmgmt.msc on the search field and press Enter or click on the OK button.
- In the Device Manager window, click on Biometric devices to expand its options.
- Now right-click on your Fingerprint Sensor and select the Uninstall device button.
- Finally, Restart your computer, and as your PC turns on, the driver will be installed automatically.
Once you update your fingerprint driver, it will work like new, and you won’t require to perform any more changes.
If you need to update driver for other hardware component on your PC, check out our guide on how to update driver on Windows 11.
However, if the fingerprint sensor is something that you feel is not required at all, you may remove that as a sign-in option. The next section of this article talks about how you can actually remove the fingerprint sensor as a sign-in option.
How to Remove Fingerprint Recognition as a Sign-in Option?
- At first, click on the Windows logo on the taskbar and open Settings from the Start Menu
- Now, click on the Accounts tab on the left pane window of Settings
- Then, click on the Sign-in options tab
- As the new Window opens, click on the option Fingerprint recognition (Windows Hello).
- Finally, select the Remove button beside the option Remove this sign-in option.
That’s all. Hope you find the workarounds helpful. Trying these fixes will resolve the fingerprint sensor not working on Windows 11 error on your computer. Drop us a comment below saying which one among these methods worked in your case.