Elden Ring users have been facing many issues since the release of the game. One of the very common issues these days is, the Elden Ring Steam must restart. The error message reads as follow,
Steam – Restart required
Steam must now be restarted in order to receive the latest update.
You won’t be able to continue steam until it has restarted.
The action RPG has become very popular among users since its arrival. With the futuristic graphics and top notch story line, Elden Ring has gained a massive user base.
However, just like any other game it has been filled with several unknown bugs and glitches. This really hinders the gaming experience. No sound error, controller stops working, Elden Ring crashing on pc or not launching, white screen crash are some of the widespread and well documented issues around this game.
In this article, we will show you how to fix the Elden Ring Steam must restart error.
What Really Causes the Elden Ring Steam Must Restart Error?
There could be multiple reasons behind this error. However it’s mostly due to some issues with your Steam Client software.
Most of the time, if you’re using an outdated software it will show you these errors. It can also be a bug in the game itself.
Moreover, if you’re using an old or incompatible PC hardware and drivers, you may update them to fix this error.
Missing game files and Steam overlays are also one of the very common reasons behind this error.
No matter what the issue, you can only get rid of this by trying the fixes. So here are all the fixes that you can try to get rid of this error.
How to Fix Elden Ring Steam Must Restart?
1. Check the System Requirements
The first thing you have to do is check whether your system complies with the minimum requirements to run the game. If you’re using an outdated system, there are high chances you will get this issue.
An old PC can hardly give you any decent performance as this game requires a certain level of hardware usage. So even before installing the game make sure to cross-check the system requirements to that of your PC. To give you an idea, here are the system requirements for running Elden Ring.
- Windows 10 Operating System
- Intel i5 8400 or AMD Ryzen 3300X
- Ram from 8GB, 12 GB (recommended)
- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon RX 580.
- Free Storage of 60GB
- DirectX Version 12
2. Update Steam Client
If you are facing this error, it may be due to an outdated version of steam client. You should always make sure to use the latest version of steam client to get rid of these random software bugs and glitches.
By updating the steam client you may be able to fix the Elden Ring Steam must restart error. Here are the steps to do so.
- Open the Steam client and select the Steam option from the top left corner of the window.
- Now click on Check for Steam Client Updates from the menu.
- Steam will automatically look for the available updates and install them on your Steam Client.
Once it’s updated, you can restart your system and run the game again to see if the issue is resolved
3. Update Steam to Beta Version
Updating the Steam Client didn’t work? Maybe updating steam to beta version will. Yes, it might sound strange but many users have reported on several forums that it helped them to fix this error.
So, it’s not a bad idea to give it a try. To update the Steam Client to its beta version, follow the steps below.
- Open the Steam Client and click on the Steam option at the top left corner.
- Now click on Settings.
- A new window will popup, from there select the Account option in the sidebar.
- In the Beta participation section, click on Change.
- Now select the Steam update option from the drop-down menu and click on ok.
- Steam will ask you to restart your system to complete the changes.
Once you’re done you have to login again. Launch the game and see if the issue still persists
4. Run Elden Ring As An Administrator
If any of the above solutions haven’t fixed this issue, we recommend running the game with administrator access. Many users have reported that running your game using the administrator access can fix this issue
Here are the steps to run Elden Ring as an Administrator:
Find out the Installation (eldenring.exe) file on your PC. Generally, it is located in the Program Files. You can also find the correct location using the Steam app.
- Open the Steam client and right-click on the game.
- Select Properties > Manage > Browse Local Files.
- The folder in which the installation file is located will open.
- Now right-click on the eldenring.exe file and select Properties.
- Move to the Compatibility tab and check on Run this program as an administrator.
- Click on Ok and then Apply to save changes.
Now launch the game again and see if you’re still facing the issue.
5. Update Windows
If you’re using an outdated version of Windows, you might find this error popping up randomly. This mainly happens when you haven’t updated your system for a long time. Your PC needs the necessary updates to run all the programs properly.
So, make sure to check for the updates regularly, and if there is any update them ASAP. To update the Windows follow these simple steps.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + I key to open the Settings app.
- Click on the Update and Security option.
- From the Windows Update tab, click on Check for Updates.
- Once the check is completed it will show all the updates that you have to install. You can start downloading the updates from there.
When the download gets completed, restart your PC to install the updates.
Now you have updated your system. Open the game again and your game would start working if the issue was with an outdated window.
6. Disable Steam Overlay Apps
Overlays issues used to be very prevalent a few years back. But still, some users get continuous errors while using the steam overlay feature.
The steam overlay can be a reason behind the elden ring must restart error. So, disabling the In-game overlay may fix this issue. Here are the steps to disable Steam Overlay.
- Open the Steam client and click on Library.
- Now from the game list, click on Elden Ring and select Properties.
- In properties, click on the General tab from the left sidebar.
- Finally uncheck Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game to disable the game overlays.
7. Update Graphics Drivers
An old graphics driver can also be a major reason for this issue. So make sure to always update your graphic card to get the best performance possible.
If you haven’t updated your graphics driver for a long time then, it could be the major reason behind the lack of performance.
Follow the steps below to update your graphic driver using Device Manager.
- Open the Control Panel and click on Hardware and Sound.
- Now under Devices and Printers, click on Device Manager.
- Select your device name and click on the Display adapter tab.
- From the drop-down menu look for your display adapter and right-click on it.
- Click on the Update driver option.
- Now select Automatically search for the graphic driver option.
Wait until the installation process, and then restart your PC to see if the issue is resolved or not.
8. Disable Antivirus and Windows Firewall
Antivirus and Windows Firewall may conflict while running the game. Although it is very unusual but many users face this problem on regular basis.
To fix it, the only option is to disable these tools. If you’re using an third party antivirus, you can disbale by following the appropriate steps. To disable Windows Firewall here are the steps.
- open the Control Panel on your PC and click on System and Security.
- Now click on Windows Defender Firewall
- From the left panel, select Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- In the next interface, you will see two sections: Private network and the Public network. In both of them select the Turn off Windows Firewall option.
Once you are done, restart your PC immediately.
This will disable the Windows Firewall and you can check if the issue is solved