Elden Ring not launching is quite a common issue that many users encounter. And most of the users get this randomly which makes this even more frustrating. However, there are some fixes that you can try to completely remove this problem.
Elden Ring has been on the top charts since its release this year. Despite receiving all these positive reviews, the game still faces many bugs and issues like no sound, controller not working, crashing, white screen, stuttering and game not launching is one more addition to this list.
There could be multiple reasons behind it, but you can apply below fixes on your end to get rid of this issue.
In this article, we have compiled a list of all the solutions that would fix your Elden Ring not launching error.
Table of Contents
Why Is The Elden Ring Not Launching?
Many reasons can cause the Elden Ring not Launching issue. The most common ones are using an outdated graphics driver or an outdated version of the game.
Most of the players were able to fix this issue by just updating their graphics driver, and installing a new game version.
Other common issues are some corrupted files, unnecessary background tasks, etc. Moreover, an outdated Windows version can also be a possible reason for this error.
These are some reasons that may prevent your game to launch properly. Here are some working solutions that you can use to fix this issue.
How To Fix Elden Ring Not Launching?
Fix 1: Run your game through Windows Firewall
Windows Firewall sometimes does interfere between different services and programs. But tweaking some necessary settings can help you launch your game properly. Sometimes the game can’t access the Internet properly which results in this interruption.
Although the default firewall settings are enough to make most of the game work properly. There are some manual settings that you can change to launch your Elden ring without any errors. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open the Control Panel and then click on Network and Internet.
- From the System and Security tab click on Windows Defender Firewall.
- Now click on Allow an app and feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
- Scroll down from the list and find the Elden Ring game. If you can’t find the game there click on Change Settings and then Allow another app.
- Click on the Folder where you’ve installed the Elden Ring exe file and add it. Now check on the boxes under the Private and Public tabs.
- Click on OK to save the settings.
Now open Elden Ring again to see if it’s working or not.
Fix 2: Install all the Available Windows Update
If you’re using an outdated version of Windows, that might cause this error pop up randomly. This mainly happens when you haven’t updated your system for a long time. Your PC needs the necessary updates to run all the programs properly.
So, make sure to check for the updates regularly, and if there is any update them ASAP. To update the Windows follow these simple steps.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + I key to open the Settings app.
- Click on the Update and Security option.
- From the Windows Update tab, click on Check for Updates.
- Once the check is completed it will show all the updates that you have to install. You can start downloading the updates from there.
- When the download gets completed, restart your PC to install the updates.
Now you have updated your system. Verify if the Elden Ring is launching or not.
Are you using the Epic game installer? If yes this is another cause for your game not launching. This usually happens when we launch the game through the steam client.
Many users have reported that launching the Elden Ring game through Steam while Epic Launcher is running in the background prevents the game to function properly. This also results in the game not getting launched.
To fix this issue you have to make sure that you’re not running the Epic game Launcher in the background. If you’re still getting the same error, we would recommend you uninstall this application. Here’s how you can do this:
- Open the Control Panel and under Programs click on Uninstall a Program.
- Now in the list of all the apps, look for Epic Games Launcher.
- Right-click on it and then click on Uninstall from the menu.
- Follow the prompts to uninstall the app completely. Once it is done make sure to restart your PC.
Check whether it has solved the problem by opening the Elden Ring game.
Fix 4: Force Full Screen the game in the launch option
Launching your game in full-screen mode can also help you run the game properly. The games are not set to full-screen mode while launching them from Steam. So, if you force the full-screen mode on Elden Ring it can open the game without any errors.
If you don’t know how to do this. Here are the steps to Force full screen the Elden Ring on Steam:
- Open Steam Client on your PC and move to the Library tab.
- Now look for the Elden Ring game from the game list.
- Right-click on the game and select Properties.
- Click on General and under launch options type -fullscreen.
This will force the Elden Ring game to always launch in full-screen mode. Now open the game again to see if the problem persists.
Fix 5: Reinstall Steam Client
If you’re using a corrupted steam client, you might face this kind of error. The issue with using a corrupted file is it may work with some games. So, you can’t understand that the issue lies with the Steam app or with the game itself.
To fix a corrupted Steam client installation file you need to reinstall the software from the official website. This will install the latest software with all the working files. Here are the steps to reinstall Steam Client:
- Open the Control Panel and Click on Programs.
- In Programs, select the Programs and Features option.
- Now look for the Steam Client app from the list.
- Once you find click on it and select Uninstall.
- Follow all the necessary steps to complete the uninstallation of steam. Once done restart your system.
- Now open your browser, and navigate to the official download page of Steam.
- From there Click on Install Steam and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the Installation process.
Open the Steam client and launch the Elden Ring game. If you’re still facing the issue follow the next step.
Fix 6: Elden Ring Game Patches
If you’re using an outdated version of Elden ring, make sure to update your game. The game developers have continuously released several game patches since the release of the game.
These game patches are mainly designed to fix all the bugs and glitches that users encounter. Keep checking the Elden Ring official website for any new updates in the game.
You can also check the official forum of Elden ring game, where many people share newly designed official and unofficial game patches. These are completely safe to use and can fix these kinds of errors.
Fix 7: Run the Game As An Administrator
If any of the above solutions haven’t fixed this issue, we recommend running the game with administrator access. Many users have reported that running your game using the administrator access can fix this issue
Here are the steps to run Elden Ring as an Administrator:
- Find out the Installation (eldenring.exe) file on your PC. Generally, it is located in the Program Files. You can also find the correct location using the Steam app.
- Open the Steam client and right-click on the game.
- Select Properties > Manage > Browse Local Files.
- The folder in which the installation file is located will open.
- Now right-click on the eldenring.exe file and select Properties.
- Move to the Compatibility tab and check on Run this program as an administrator.
- Click on Ok and then Apply to save changes.
Now check if the Elden Ring is launching or not .
If you’ve been getting an Elden Ring not launching very often, no doubt it’s frustrating for you and so for many other users. There are many reasons behind it and find out your issue is needed to fix them.
This article was all about those solutions. So, following all the fixes mentioned in this article might get you rid of this error.