Although most video and media players these days offer playback support for any video file format (AV1) but the most basic functionality like Subtitles support is often being missed. The need for having subtitle support (convert .ass to .srt) in a media player is must due to the wide variety of entertainment content available in different languages. Not only this, but those hearing impaired users cannot enjoy movies without subtitles. Keeping this in mind, here we have collected best video players with subtitles support for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS along with steps for how to add subtitles.
Best Video Players with Subtitle Support for Windows
VLC is one of the biggest names when it comes to media players irrespective of the platform. It has features made for both beginners as well as advanced users. Even though the design of this video player is a bit dated, it still offers a lot of usabilities. You can find many advanced features related to video encoding, network streaming, media synchronization, audio and video effects, and more! The best part about VLC player is you can watch age restricted youtube videos. In case if you have downloaded and installed VLC on your Windows machine, then you follow the given steps one by one to add subtitles in VLC while watching videos:
How to Add Subtitles to VLC Media Player on Windows
- First, play the video in VLC with which you want to view subtitles.
- Then, locate the SRT file for the subtitle that belongs to the video.
- After that, drag and drop this file into VLC which will load the subtitles and display it on your screen.
- In case if the subtitle is not appearing on your screen, you can press V on your keyboard to enable/disable subtitles in VLC.
VLC Media player also has the ability to play bluray movies and video files. In order to play blueray disc on VLC Player, you have to get the libaaca.dll and add it to VLC folder. VLC Player also comes handy when you want to convert M4B to MP3 or to remove audio from video.
The Media Player Classic is one of the best video players for Windows when it comes to video format support. MPC-HC has a wide range of built-in codecs that allows the user to play almost any video with any possible format. Even though this player might look quite basic at first glance, it has almost all the advanced media features that you can think of. And just as you would expect, this player also has subtitle support. You can use subtitles while watching videos in MPC-HC by following the given instructions one by one:
How to Add Subtitles on Media Player Classic
- Start playing a video in your Media Player Classic player in which you want subtitles.
- After that, press Ctrl + L on your keyboard which will open a new window on your screen.
- Now, use it to navigate and locate the desired subtitle file, and click on Open to open it.
- Doing so will successfully load the subtitle file along with the video that you are watching.
3. GOM Player
GOM Player is another quite popular video player for Windows. Unlike VLC and MPC-HC, GOM Player is targeted at beginner users who just want the basics in a music player. The user interface of this video player is also quite good and very user-friendly. Even if you won’t find any advanced features in this video player, you can still add subtitles in GOM Player to be used alongside a video. It can be done as shown in the given instructions:
How to Add Subtitles on GOM Player
- First, move the subtitle SRT file in the folder where the desired video file is stored.
- Then, right-click on the subtitle file and select rename.
- Now, rename this file to the same exact name as the video file.
- After this whenever you play the video in GOM player, it will automatically load the subtitle file by itself.
Best Video Players with Subtitle Support for Mac
VLC is one of the few video players out there which is available on almost all platforms. And just like its Windows counterpart, VLC for MacOS also supports subtitles. Apart from the subtitle feature, you can also find all other features and options that you would found on Windows. Anyways, if you want to load a subtitle file for your movie in VLC for Mac, you can follow the given steps:
How to Add Subtitles:
- After opening VLC on MacOS, click on File and select Open File which will open a new window.
- Now, use this window to browse for your desired media file and select it. Then, click on the Load Subtitles file option in this window.
- Doing so will open yet another window on your screen. Here, you have to locate and open the respective subtitle file.
- At last, click on OK which will successfully load the subtitle along with the audio file in VLC on MacOS.
5K Player is a highly popular video player among Mac users because of the way it looks. Not only it has a very clean look, but the whole user interface is very user-friendly. Unlike VLC, you will not find a wide range of advanced features in the 5K player for MacOS. But you can still watch movies or TV shows in the 5K player with subtitles. You can import the subtitle file in your 5K player by following these methods one by one:
How to Add Subtitles on 5K Player
- First, play any video in the 5K player on your Apple Mac.
- Then, on the video playback screen, click on the Load subtitle file option in the upper left-hand corner of your screen.
- After this, a new window will open using which you have to navigate and open the subtitle file for your desired video.
- Now, 5K Player will start displaying the subtitle on the video that you are watching.
The MPlayerX is a great video player available for Mac devices and offers many features. Even though this video player has many advanced features, it still looks quite good in terms of its user interface. The whole theme of this video player watches MacOS quite well. And as you would expect, MPlayerX even has the support for subtitles for your Apple Mac. It allows the user to play videos along with subtitles as shown below:
How to Add Subtitles to MPlayerX
- On the video playback screen, click on the info button on the loaded media file.
- Then, use the subtitle option in here which will open a new window.
- Finally, navigate and open the desired subtitle file which will successfully load the subtitles in your MacOS MPlayerX.
Best Video Players with Subtitle Support for Linux
Since VLC is an open-source application, the developers have created a version for Linux as well. In fact, since most of the Linux users are quite advanced, you can edit the code of VLC to add whatever functionality you like. And just as you would expect, VLC for Linux also has the support for adding subtitles in the video player along with a media file. It can be done quite easily in your Linux computer by using the following instructions:
Add Subtitles to VLC on Linux
- Inside the VLC media player, click on File in the upper left-hand corner of your screen.
- Then, select the Open File option and choose to Use a subtitle file.
- After this, you will be able to browse and open the desired subtitle file in VLC for Linux.
Even though Kodi is available for almost all platforms out there, it is highly popular among Linux users. Just like MPC-HC for Windows, Kodi also provides its users with a range of supported video formats. This is possible due to the inbuilt video codes that allow you to play almost any video file in Kodi. Not only that but you can even add subtitles while watching videos of any resolution. You can do so in Kodi as shown in the step by step guide provided here:
How to Add Subtitles on Kodi
- Play any video in your Kodi player and make sure that you are on the video playback screen.
- In here, click on the Audio Icon which will show you many options including audio and subtitle settings.
- You can then use the subtitle option to browse and select the respective subtitle file for the video file you are watching.
SMPlayer is one of the most simple and basic video players available for Linux. This video player is targeted towards basic users who don’t want any advanced features. Instead, SMPlyaer focuses on the basic requirements of most Linux users. And you can even use subtitles in this video player while watching videos. In order to successfully add subtitles in SMPlayer, you have to carry out the given steps one by one:
How to Add Subtitles on SMPlayer
- Inside the video playback screen, look for the Subtitles
- Then, open it and select the load subtitle option.
- After that, navigate in your local disks and browse for the desired subtitle file.
- At last, open the file and SMPlayer will start playing the video along with the specified subtitle file.
Best Video Players with Subtitle Support for Android and iOS
1. MX Player for Android | iOS
Even though VLC is available for both iOS and Android devices, it does not have that many options when compared to its computer counterpart. On the other hand, MX Player provides its users with a lot of useful options and features. It even has the ability to switch between hardware and software encoding while playing videos. Not only that but you can also easily add subtitles in MX Player along with the video that you are watching. It can be within this app’s video playback screen as shown here:
How to Add Subtitles on MX Player For Android
- While watching a video in MX Player, open the three-dot menu from the upper right corner of your screen.
- In here go to the Subtitle settings and select Open.
- After that, you have to locate and open the subtitle file which you want to use with the video file that your watching.
- Once you have done that, MX Player will automatically display the subtitle file that you have selected.
Here is how you can watch age-restricted videos on youtube on your Android or iOS device.
2. VLC for Android | iOS
VLC is also available on Android and iOS devices and is one of the best video players out there. Unlike the PC version of VLC, the mobile one has very few advanced options in it. That being said, you do get a very nice user interface while watching videos on your mobile device. While you can’t expect any advanced features in this app, it can certainly display subtitles while you are watching videos in it. Users can easily add subtitles in the VLC video player by doing as shown here:
How to Add Subtitles on VLC for iOS and Android
- In the video playback screen on your phone, tap on the subtitle icon on the bottom of your screen.
- Now, select the Select subtitle file option from here which will open the file manager.
- After that, use this to navigate and locate the subtitle file you wish to use and open it.
- Doing so will successfully start displaying the subtitles for the movie or TV show that you are watching on your Android device using VLC.
3. KMPlayer for Android | iOS
Most Android users are familiar with KMPlayer and it is equally good as MX Player and VLC. You get almost all of the features and options that you would expect from any other video player you might for Android or iOS device. It also has a very interactive user interface which is always great to have on a mobile device. If you want to use the subtitle support feature of this video player, then you can follow the given instructions one by one:
How to Add Subtitles on KMPlayer on Android
- Start playing a video in the KMPlayer for Android/iOS and make sure that you are on the video playback screen.
- In here, open the three-dot menu from the upper right-hand corner of the screen of your Android device.
- Now, select the Subtitle option which will bring up a small pop-up window on your device.
- After that, click on the Open option here and browse the desired subtitle file in the internal storage of your device.
- Once you have done that, KMPlayer will load the subtitle file along with the media that you are enjoying on your mobile device.