Xbox users frequently report issues regarding the console’s controllers. This has become one of the prevalent problems for many users. However, it mostly has nothing to do with any bugs from Microsoft.
We all know Xbox is a pretty popular gaming console. With a massive number of titles, you get to choose from a big pool of games. But this issue may happen with any Xbox console including the Xbox 360, One X, Xbox S, Xbox Elite 2, Xbox Series X, etc.
The problem with your controller might hinder your gaming experience. So, the only thing you’re looking for is a solution.
In this article, we will list all the methods that you can use to fix the problem with your Xbox controller.
Table of Contents
Why Does the Xbox One Controller Keep Disconnecting?
Xbox controller disconnects due to battery problems, old Firmware, multiple devices plugged into the controller.
The problems with controllers mainly occur from the user’s end. There might be an unknown bug its very unusual because most of the bugs related to consoles and controllers are regularly fixed by Microsoft.
But don’t worry below are all the possible fixes that you can try to fix this issue.
How to Fix Xbox One Controller Keeps Disconnecting?
1. Change the Controller Batteries
The most common reason behind the frequent disconnection of your Xbox controller is its battery. This is common with any Wireless device as we have to give them power by charging or batteries.
So, if you’re using your Xbox controller wireless the battery will drain timely. You can check your battery from the battery indicator on the home screen of the console.
If the battery indicator is showing low power, you should recharge the controller or replace the batteries with a new one, depending on the controller. For charging your controller you just have to plug it into the console. It doesn’t matter whether you’re playing or the console is off.
2. Reconnect the Controller
You can try re-connecting the controller from your console. Sometimes a random bug might cause these issues, so just reconnecting the devices might fix it.
If you’re using a wired connection just replug the cable to your controller. You can also use a different USB or port, and see if the issue is fixed.
For wireless controllers, you can follow the steps given below:
- Hold on to the Wireless connection button until the Xbox button flashes on the controller.
- Hold the Wireless connection button on the controller until the Xbox controller turns on.
See if you can use the Xbox controller without any connection issues.
3. Update Xbox Controller Firmware
If you’re using an Xbox controller with outdated firmware, this can be a very big reason behind the random disconnection of the controller.
So, make sure you’re using updated firmware on your controller. Although the console automatically updates the controller’s firmware. But maybe for some reasons like unreliable connection, the controller might not update it.
Here are the steps to update the Xbox firmware:
- Turn on the console. And connect your console and controller with a USB cable.
- Sign in to your Xbox Live account.
- Now press the controller’s Menu button.
- Select the Settings option.
- Select Devices & accessories.
- Now select your wireless controller.
- Select Update and then Continue.
- The firmware update will start, and once it’s done you can pair your controller and see if there’re any results.
You may see a “No updates needed” screen if your firmware is already updated.
4. Move Xbox Controller Closer to the Console
When we use a wireless connection, there are chances of weak connectivity issues. These issues usually occur when the controller and console are far in distance. So, make sure your console and controller are within the range.
Because most of the time, even some significant distance between the console and the controller may result in random network interruption.
Also, keep in mind, that the console and the controller are facing each other. If the controller is not in front of the console it can create a hurdle in the connection. And may cause the controller to not work properly.
5. Power Cycle the Console
Sometimes the issue may not be with your console but a random bug or glitch in the console which is causing this issue. For that, you simply need to reboot your console and see if that gives any results. Here are the steps to do so:
- Press and hold the power button on your Xbox console for about 10 seconds.
- Keep all the cables unplugged for at least one minute, and then plug them back.
- Now press the Xbox button on the console to turn it on.
Connect your Xbox controller again, and check if you’re still encountering the disconnection issue.
6. Use a Cable with your Xbox Controller
Using a cable with your controller with a cable might fix this issue. However, it’s a temporary solution as it won’t fix the actual issue on your controller. But to see if the controller is still functional you can give it a chance.
So, first of all, get a good USB cable and connect the controller to the console. If you can play the games easily, it means the issue is with the wireless connection on the controller.
You can either cotninue and use the console with a wired controller or wait for getting the controller to get fixed. If the controller is working through a cable, you can follow some remaining methods.
7. Update the Xbox Controller’s Drivers
If you’re using some outdated controllers driver, this might be resulting in the frequent disconnection of your Xbox controller. An outdated or missing driver is a pretty common reason behind this error.
You can update your controller’s drivers directly from your PC. And it will also tell you whether the controller is updated or not. Here are the steps to update the controller’s drivers.
- Connect your controller to a Windows PC using a cable. You can also use the Xbox wireless adapter for Windows.
- Launch the Xbox accessories app. If it’s not installed you can do that from Microsoft Store.
- Once you open it will automatically locate the device.
- Click on the three dots below the controller.
- If there are any updates you will see an update option on the left. Click on it.
- Wait, while the controller is updating.
- And Finally, click on Close.
Now again connect your controller to the console and if this resolves the issue. You can also play games on your PC using the Xbox controller on the Xbox app or Steam.
8. Check Another Controller
If the issue persists, you can try using another controller. This will tell you whether the issues are really with the controller or the console.
So, get another controller and connect it to your console. If it’s connecting well and you’re not facing any issues. Then, it’s clear that the previous controller is the faulty one and needs a replacement.
However, if another controller is also not working, then the problem lies with your console.
9. Update or Factory Reset the Console
The final method we have is to try updating the console. Although the Xbox consoles updates automatically. But if there are some network issues, you might need to manually do this. Follow the steps below to update the console.
- Press the Xbox button on the controller.
- Navigate to the Profile & System page.
- Now select Settings and then System.
- Under System, select the Updates option.
- If there are any updates available, you can click on Update, and wait until the update completes.
However, if your console is already updated or even after updating you’re not getting any results. The only option you have is to Factory reset the console. This will bring the console to its default settings and might solve the issue.
So for doing that, again come to the System page.
- From the System page, select the Console info option.
- Now from the left panel, select the Reset console option.
- It will ask you to Reset and remove everything or Reset and keep my games and apps.
Choose the appropriate option and reset the console. Once it’s completed check again if the controller is working or not.
So, these were the methods that you can use to fix the disconnection error on your controller. If the problem is normal these fixes should work perfectly. However, if you’ve tried them all and still facing the issue, you might need some professional help.
After trying all the methods, one thing you would surely know is if the problem is with your console or the controller. So, if these methods don’t fix the issue, you can take your console or controller (which one is faulty), to the store and get it repaired.