Article Updated: 21st October 2017.
Microsoft’s DirectX is a free API (Application Programming Interface) that gives multimedia applications the power to work on Windows-based computers. Games that run in the Windows operating system rely on DirectX because it provides an assortment of drivers and tools that are designed to optimize the game’s use of the available peripherals in the target computer. For example, when a user plugs in a joystick that normally needs drivers to run, DirectX has a generic driver that the joystick can be used so you can enjoy your favorite games with the desired game controller too.
Direct3D 11 is out and ready for use by your game today to exploit the latest in video hardware features as well as the current generation machines. Microsoft has been continuously evolving DirectX to implement latest graphics technology features and to support wide varieties of games, Display devices. After making DirectX 10 available for Windows Vista here is the next version DirectX 11 with Direct3D 11. The new version of DirectX, the software behind the eye-popping 3-D visuals and immersive sound effects found in many of today’s PC games.
DirectX 11 is part of DirectX SDK and contains Technical Preview of Direct2D, DirectWrite, DXGI 1.1. Good news is,DirectX 11 End-User Runtimes is already available for download today.
DirectX 11 features include:
- It’s designed to be more efficient, leverage the power of today’s multicore processors.
- It’s providing support for sophisticated shading and texturing techniques such as tessellation.
- Results smoother 3-D animation, and graphics more lifelike and nuanced than ever before.
DirectX 11 Updates include:
- High Quality HDR Post Processing.
- Improved Tone Mapping.
- Parallax Occlusion Mapping.
- Improved Water Rendering.
- Real-Time Local Reflections.
- Contact Shadows (SSDO).
- New Advanced Graphics Options.
- Realistic Shadows with Variable Penumbra.
- Improved Multi-GPU Support.
- Particle Motion Blur and Shadows.
Windows 7/Direct3D 11 Technical Preview is part of DirectX SDK and contains Technical Preview of Direct2D, DirectWrite, DXGI 1.1. Good news is, it is not only available as Technical Preview but also as DirectX End-User Runtimes.
DirectX 9 vs. DirectX 11
The biggest difference between DirectX 9 and DirectX 11 is the illumination. Due to HDAO and nice Post Effects, the visual appearance of Dirt 2 with DirectX 11 is less “over bright” and smoother. The more realistic look of the DirectX 11 version might convince some players since there have already been mods for Race Driver Grid that were reducing exactly those warm colors and thus created a more realistic appearance.
(Click on Image to enlarge)
How to Download and Install DirectX 12, 11, 10, 9
By default, all latest version of Windows operating system comes with built-in latest DirectX installed, ideally, you shouldn’t need to install it but in case you are having an issue with your Windows graphics and you wish to troubleshoot by reinstalling DirectX 11 then here are steps on how to install it.
2. Select language and click on Download button, do make sure to uncheck the additional software that Microsoft may recommend you to install.
3. Click on No thanks and continue button, and it will prompt you to save a setup file of size 286KB. Do not worry, this is not the complete installer.
4. Once you download the web installer, click on dxwebsetup.exe and accept the agreement, proceed to click on next button.
5. Now the websetup will display the DirectX Runtime Optional Components with a download size of 90MB. Click on Next and wait for the installer to finish downloading and install.
6. The setup will display the installation complete. Please make sure to restart your Windows for changes to take effect.
Download Windows 7/Direct3D 11 (DirectX 11)
Free Download DirectX 11 Standalone Installer For Windows XP User (DirextX_11_Setup/DXSETUP.exe)
To find out which graphics cards are compatible with DirectX 11, go to the Windows 7 Compatibility Center website.
If you like this article then do consider hitting +1 button and other Social sharing options.