Windows 7 Sidebar has significant change then windows vista. Windows Vista sidebar was completely independent of user account control. However in windows 7 sidebar with gadget and UAC are related means if you turn of or disable UAC in windows 7 then sidebar will not work.
This has been done to prevent users from installing any malicious unsigned desktop gadget in windows 7. Since most of the users prefer to keep User Account control (UAC) disabled, they wont be able to enjoy desktop gadgets and sidebar in windows 7, well here is small work around basically a registry hack to make windows 7 sidebar with gadget to work when UAC is disabled or turned off.
How to Enable Sidebar & Desktop Gadget with Disable/Turned Off UAC in windows 7
1. Click on start and type regedit on search bar
2. Now navigate to follow registry key in left pan of registry editor
3. Right Click in right pan of registry editor to Create A New DWORD(32 Bit Value) with name “AllowElevatedProcess” and set value as “1”.
4. Now close registry editor
5. Right click on desktop and add desktop gadgets to confirm Desktop gadget and sidebar working properly
You can download AllowElevatedProcess.reg and double click on AllowElevatedProcess.reg file to add registry entry.
Windows 7 Sidebar with Desktop Gadget