First of all we would like to thank Ajay Dsouza for allowing to use his WordPress plugin Contextual Related Posts. Entire Wp-Thumbie Plugin is based on Contextual Related Post plugin. So what is Wp-Thumbie? Wp-Thumbie is WordPress Plugin to Display Thumbnail Related Posts on WordPress blog.
Currently there is only one WordPress plugin Linkwithin which provides such functionality. Unfortunately that plugin doesn’t allow any customization and that’s what leads us to develop Wp-Thumbie. Check out below list of Wp-Thumbie Features.
Features of Wp-Thumbie WordPress Plugin
1. Display Related Posts with thumbnail image automatically in content / feed, no need to edit template files
2. Doesn’t use any custom field to generate thumbnail images
3. You can manually add code to your template where you want the Wp-thumbie to be displayed
4. Exclude posts from categories
5. Exclude display of thumbnail related posts on Pages
6. Exclude pages in thumbnail related Posts list
7. Related posts based on content and post title
8. Set Thumbnail image size
9. Turn on/off Post excerpt
10. Set length of Post excerpt
11. Different Styling for displaying thumbnail related posts
You can use Wp-Thumbie plugin on any self-hosted WordPress blog without need of modifying your existing posts. Wp-Thumbie automatically extracts first image from posts and on fly resizes to defined thumbnail size.
You can set number of thumbnail related posts to be displayed with horizontal (will be made available in next plugin update) and vertical list style or raw output format and set your own styling.
Wp-Thumbie Option Page
(Click on Image to Enlarge)
1. WordPress version above 2.5
2. Your Webhost must support Php Gb Library
How to Install Wp-Thumbie
1. Download Wp-Thumbie
2. Extract contents of wp-thumbie.zip in Wp-content/plugins folder
3. Activate Wp-Thumbie from WordPress Admin dashboard
4. If you uncheck “Add related posts to the post content on single posts” option on Wp-Thumbie settings page then you must add below code in your WordPress Theme Template file
<?php if(function_exists (‘ wp_thumbie ‘)) wp_thumbie(); ?>
Make sure wp-thumbie & wp-thumbie/cache folder permissions are set to 777. Cache folder will be created automatically once you activate and start using wp-thumbie.
Main CSS ID “wp-thumbie”
List CSS ID “wp_thumbie_li”
Thumbnail Image CSS ID “wp_thumbie_thumb”
Title URL CSS ID “wp_thumbie_title”
Post Excerpt CSS ID “description”
1. Horizontal Style listing
2. Support for Custom field & Attachements
3. Ability to set open links in new windows
Thumbnails are not displayed ?
Ans. If thumbnails are not appearing then checkout permission of wp-thumbie & wp-thumbie/cache folder permissions it should be 755.
if you see message “Php GD library is not supported” message then contact your hosting provider and ask for Php GD library.
You can see Wp-Thumbie in action on this blog
If you have any question, suggestions for new features or issues then please comment here.