Asus laptop F9 not working? want to factory reset and restore laptop? continue reading to find ways to do it!
The F9 key on Asus Laptops is widely used for resetting the device. However, sometimes this key stops working. If you have an Asus laptop and the F9 key is not working, it might be a little bit frustrating as you’re used to the quick method for doing this stuff.
Typically portable devices like laptop often have one or another issues like won’t turn on, stuck on splash screen or screen flickering.
Is there any alternative to this issue? The answer is YES, although this won’t fix the issue with the key. But it will help you to factory reset your system without using the F9 key.
This article will show how you can reset your Asus laptop if the F9 key is not working.
Why Does Asus Laptop F9 Stops Working?
If you’re an Asus user you would know the power of the F9 key. With just a press it lets you reset the entire system and restore to factory default. A pretty straightforward method. But if the key stop working it spoils all the convenience.
But what makes this issue arise in the first place? There are not any known reasons for it. However, it’s mainly due to some hardware issues. Laptop hardware issues may cause problems not only with the F9 key but the entire keyboard.
Updating the keyboard drivers could be a solution and might solve this problem. But if not, you should see an authorized service center. Now let’s directly move to the main part and see how you can reset and restore the Asus laptop if the F9 keys stops working.
How to Factory Reset Asus Laptop F9 Not Working?
There are a few methods that you can use to Reset your laptop if the F9 key isn’t working. This works for every Windows user, so here are the steps:
1. Reset Laptop Using Windows Settings
This is the most straightforward method that we can use. Windows lets you reset your system using the Reset option in Settings. Even if your F9 key is not working, this method will work perfectly fine. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open the Settings app by pressing Windows and the I key.
- In the settings look for Update and Security and click on it.
- From the sidebar, you have to select the Recovery option.
- Now on the Recovery page, you will find a Reset this PC section. From there you have to select Get Started.
- In the new window, you have two options to select. We would recommend you choose the Keep My Files one if you want to have your data and files. Although if you don’t need any data you can select Remove Everything.
- Select Local Reinstall in the next window.
- Now the Additional Settings page will appear. Here you can select Change Settings to toggle with a few settings.
- If you’re done changing the Additional Settings, click on Next.
- Your Asus laptop is now ready to reset. To start the process you have to select the Reset option.
This will take some time, once everything is done you can again use fresh Windows.
Check how to factory reset Dell Laptop.
2. Reset from Windows Recovery Environment
Windows Recovery Environment (WRE) is a program specially built to resolve system recovery issues. You can use this program directly from your software without the need for an F9 key. Below is the complete process on how to use WRE:
- Open the Settings app and again click on Update and Security.
- Move to the Recovery page and look for the Advanced Startup section. There you can see a Restart now button, click on it.
- Once you click on this option, a new Choose an option window will appear. From here you have to select the Troubleshoot option.
- On the Troubleshoot page, you can see the Reset this PC option. Click on it and proceed.
- Now again it will ask you to either keep the files or remove everything. Choose the option which suits you. For doing the Factory Reset you can select the latter one.
- In the next step click on the Local Reinstall option.
- Now you have two options either Just remove my files or fully clean the drive. Choose the appropriate one and proceed.
Finally, the only thing left is to click on the Reset button to start the process. It can take a few minutes to hours depending upon your PC and the option you choose.
3. Reset from the Recovery Drive
You can also use the system’s recovery drive to factory reset your laptop. The steps are pretty simple and just follow them accordingly.
- Press power button to start Asus laptop and before it boots up get into the BIOS.
- For accessing the BIOS, every manufacturer has a unique key. But as we are talking about Asus users, you have to press and hold the F2 key and then press the Power button to enter into the BIOS.
- Once you enter the BIOS, select the Boot priority. You can find it under Recovery Drive.
- Now move the Recovery Drive to the top of the and save the BIOS settings.
- As you’re done restart your PC.
- It will now boot into the recovery mode, you can then click on the Repair option.
- From there select Reset under the Recovery section, this will reset your entire system.
4. Reset using Installation Disc
The last method on this list to reset the system is by using the Installation disc. If you have one you can easily reset your Asus laptop by following these simple steps.
- Make sure you have a bootable CD/DVD System Repaid Disc ready and put it into the disc tray.
- Start your Asus and get into the Boot menu.
- You can do this by pressing the ESC key before the system boots up.
- Once you enter the boot menu, change the boot option to CD/DVD Rom and press Enter.
- Now a black screen will appear, you just have to press any key to continue.
- Click on Repair Your Computer and then select Troubleshooting.
- Finally, click on the Reset option. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.