What motherboard do i have? how do i find out what motherboard model I have? here are the answers to all such questions!
The motherboard is one of the main components of the computer. The working of other substantial component is dependent on the motherboard. The video card and the hard disk are connected to it whereas processor, RAM, and all other internal peripherals are inserted into it. The motherboard drivers should always be kept up to date, and it is better not to use the software that is installed automatically with Windows downloads and download the drivers from the official website of the developers and install them. To do so, you must know the manufacturer as well as the model number of your motherboard because each motherboard is different and require a different set of drivers. Installing incorrect drivers might lead to rendering your system unbootable and would result in loss of data. Various motherboards have a different architecture which is required for certain processors. For example, AMD Ryzen processors cannot be installed on H110m motherboard because of the incompatibility. Hence, if you are planning to upgrade your system hardware, you must have knowledge about the motherboard series and support criteria.
What Motherboard Do I Have?
Often you hear this question from the people who are non tech-savvy or computer illiterate. Few other questions that are most common are,
- What kind of motherboard do I have?
- What type of motherboard do I have?
- How do I know what motherboard I have?
- How do I find out what motherboard I have?
All these questions are basically one and same, what Motherboard that’s inside your system. There are number of ways to find what motherboard it is. You can determine the model of the motherboard by the packaging box, by the retail bill or by logging in the personal account of the online store where it was purchased. But often such ways to find out the model of the motherboard are not available for one reason or another. In this case, there are several other options for how to find out what is the motherboard in the computer.
Find What Monitor Do I have?
How to Find What Motherboard I have?
The process of motherboard identification is very easy and can be performed by all types of users. You can either use built-in Windows 10 features to avail the knowledge of the motherboard or you can use some third-party applications to achieve the purpose. Following are some methods to determine your motherboard details.
1. Visual Inspection to know What Motherboard Do I have
Every manufacturer always mentions the brand and the model number on the motherboard. So, visual inspection of the motherboard is probably the most precise method to find out its manufacturer and model number. It is quite easy if the motherboard is not installed in any system. But, If you don’t know how to disassemble and reassemble the motherboard from the system, We will recommend you to utilize any of the method provided below instead of visual inspection of the motherboard itself.
Most often, motherboard manufacturers write its model near the PCI-E slot or near the slot to install the processor. In most cases, the model is indicated in large letters, and it can be considered without removing the board from the case. This is an example of the AsRock H110M Motherboard. As you can see in the image below, the Brand logo and the details about the model is clearly specified on the motherboard front side.
If you are unable to visually inspect the motherboard, kindly follow the methods provided below.
2: System Information to Find Motherboard Details
Diagnostic utilities of the Windows operating system allow several commands to determine the model of the motherboard in the computer. The easiest way to do this is through the system information as follows:
- Press the keyboard shortcut Windows + R to launch the Run window.
- Enter “msinfo32” in it, which launches the System Information utility.
- Information about the motherboard will be displayed on the right side of the window. The manufacturer is indicated in the column “Baseboard Manufacturer”, and the model in the item “Baseboard Model”.
Note: The msinfo32 utility does not always correctly cope with the identification of the motherboard installed in the computer. You may encounter a situation when the information about the model says “Not available”. In this case, you will have to determine the motherboard in another way.
3. Using the Command Prompt
As you might already know, the command prompt provided in Windows 10 can be used by tons of different tasks. All you have to do is put the correct command and execute it. You can also use the command prompt to obtain information about your motherboard.
To do so, Follow these steps:
- Search “cmd” in the Windows 10 search bar.
- Right click on the “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator” option from the drop-down menu.
- Now, the command prompt window will open.
- Now, all you have to do is copy the command wmic baseboard get Manufacturer command and press enter to execute it.
- This command will display the name of the manufacturer in the command prompt.
- If you wish to acknowledge the model number of the motherboard as well, simply put the command wmic baseboard get product and press enter.
- This command will display the exact model of your motherboard.
4. CPU-Z tool
A reliable and simple program for determining computer parameters is CPU-Z. It can be downloaded free of charge from the official website of the developers, and it correctly provides information about the components of the computer.
To use it to find out the model of the motherboard, you need to:
- Download and install the software from https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html.
- Once installed, simply double click the software icon on the desktop to open the software.
- Is asked, press yes in the user account control window to grant administrative privileges.
- Let the software load. Once it’s open, head over to “Mainboard” panel.
- In the “Manufactured” column, the motherboard manufacturer will be displayed, and its model will be shown in the “Model” section.
5. Using the AIDA64 Tool to Find Motherboard Model and Manufacturer
Another good diagnostic application for a computer is AIDA64, but its disadvantage, in contrast to CPU-Z, is that it is distributed for a fee. But, at the same time, a 30-day trial version can be downloaded from the developer’s site for free, which will allow you to find out information about the motherboard installed in your computer.
In order to see the model of the motherboard through AIDA64, you need to launch it and go to the “Motherboard” (or “System Board” in the Russian version) item. The corresponding column will immediately display the manufacturer and model of the motherboard.
6. Using Speccy tool
Speccy is a “CCleaner” developer tool that can be downloaded free of charge from the official website and used without restrictions. The tool provides an interface in multiple languages. The interface is quite simple. The main task is to display basic information about computer components (processor, RAM, video adapter, etc).
You can see the motherboard information in the “Motherboard” section. Go there from the left menu or expand the desired item in the main window. Next, pay attention to the lines “Manufacturer” and “Model” to gather the required information.