There is no right or wrong format for your digital music, though mp3 is generally considered to be the standard, meaning it will play with almost all software and hardware. However, and I shall not point fingers, if you came about some of your collection via “other means” then it may not fall within the standard. Or, perhaps like me, you decided to use WMA for encoding your CD’s in the early days.
If you have a large library then you may wish to use a software solution, preferably one that can do batch conversion for multiple files at one time. But, if you just do the occasional song or other audio file, then a web app may be the way to go.
Over the past few years, I have experimented with several of these, but today another one came to my attention — thanks to an email invitation to try it.
Convert Music Online works with most major formats:
1. RA, AMR, MKA, AIFF, FLAC, MP4, M4A, MP3, ACC, WAV, WMA, AC3, OGG to MP3 with fixed and variable bitrate.
2. RA, AMR, MKA, AIFF, FLAC, MP4, M4A, WMA, ACC, WAV, MP3, AC3, OGG to WMA with fixed and variable bitrate.
3. RA, MKA, AIFF, FLAC, MP4, M4A, ACC, AC3, WAV, WMA, MP3, OGG to ACC with fixed and variable bitrate.
4. RA, AMR, MKA, AIFF, FLAC, MP4, M4A, AC3, ACC, WAV, WMA, MP3, OGG to AC3 with fixed and variable bitrate.
5. RA, AMR, MKA, AIFF, FLAC, MP4, M4A, ACC, WAV, MP3, AC3, OGG to WMA with fixed and variable bitrate.
6. RA, AMR, MKA, AIFF, FLAC, MP4, M4A, ACC, MP3, WMA, AC3, OGG to WAV.
Click any of the formats listed around the above image to convert your file to that particular format. You will be prompted that browse your files — both local and across your network — to find the song. Once you have chosen that, then a prompt provides a choice of quality.
Instead of presenting a range of bit rates, the site instead lists quality measures ranging from “Normal” to “Excellent”. The file will upload to the site, covert and then automatically begin downloading to your computer. The process is rather quick.
Convert Music Online provided one of the fastest conversions I have encountered, and the automatic download was a nice touch, as opposed to waiting to receive an emailed link. It doesn’t cover quite as many formats as some rivals, but I honestly doubt many people are looking for most of those.