You might come across video songs which you would like to listen on your mp3 player or you have a video which you want to rip the audio commentary. The only option you have is to extract audio from video file or simply convert videos to mp3 files. To help you with converting video into mp3 and extract audio / soundtrack here is the list of freeware utilities and tools for Windows, Linux and Mac OS as well as online service.
Free Tools to Extract or Rip Audio from Video File
1. Video2MP3 : Video2MP3 is the small freeware utility with instant way to convert video files to mp3 files. All you need to do is drop and drag video files on video2mp3 executable file or shortcut icon, and video2mp3 will instantly convert it into mp3 file & save audio track in the same directory as that of executable.
2. Video MP3 Extractor : Yet another simple to use tool for Windows users. Video MP3 Extractor supports wide variety of video formats such as AVI, MOV, MPG, MPEG, DAT, MP4, ASF, WMA or WMV file. Also lets you to adjust the bitrate aka quality of output mp3 file extracted from video file. The main feature that Video MP3 Extractor boast about is its supper quality with speed in extracting soundtrack and audio from video files.
3. Apex Video to MP3 WMA WAV Converter : As the name suggests, this is a tool to convert videos into MP3, WMA or Wave format. Though the comprehensive utility to extract audio from video files, but the nag screen with advertisement might shy away users from taking advantage of this utility. Apex Video to MP3 WMA WAV Converter user interface may look bit complicated at first glance but has all the required options to successfully extract mp3 from video files as well as convert to desired format.
Though there is no functionality limitation in free version but to remove advertisement you will need to purchase the license copy.
4. MP3 Converter : Small yet powerful utility to convert video files to mp3 format. Not only it supports video conversion but also allows you to convert other audio format such as FLAC, AAC, M4A, WAV format to MP3 format. The interface of MP3 Converter is very simple, all you need to do is add all the videos you need to convert to mp3 and click on convert button. Though you have no option to choose bitrates of output mp3 file but you do have options to set the quality of audio from very high to very low.
Though there are number of applications and scripts available to process and convert audio and video files to other formats but when it comes to one simple task of converting videos to MP3 format and extracting sound track there are very few options for Linux users.
1. VLC : You may argue that VLC is just a media player and not the conversion tool well that’s not true. If you explorer Media menu of VLC player you will notice it does offer video/audio conversion option. Under Convert options you have to select source file and make sure to save file with .mp3 extension to convert video to audio file.
2. FFmpeg : This is one of the robust and most powerful cross platform utility which supports conversion, record and streaming of audio and video. FFmpeg is also base of the many audio video polayers and converter tools. Unfortunately, FFmpeg is command line tool and to get the job done you need to know the commands. If you don’t then simply follow below commands to extract sound from video file.
sudo apt-get install ffmpeg libavcodec-unstripped-52
ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -f mp3 -ab 192000 -vn music.mp3
In above command -i is input file , -f is format, -ab is bitrate.
3. WinFF : this is the perfect utility to convert video files into audio format. WinFF is basically a frontend GUI of FFmpeg and supports multi file conversion at the same time into different format. WinFF is available for different Linux flavors such as Debian, Ubuntu, Redhat, Archlinux and OpenSuse.
1. Video to MP3 : A free and simple to use Applescript droplet to instantly convert video files to mp3 on Mac OS. All you need to do is drop video file on mp3.app icon and you will be prompted for bitrate. Type in the desired bitrate and it will immediately start converting video to mp3 format.
2. Free Video to Audio Converter : freeware tool for Mac OS users to extract audio from video files. This is an easy to use and flexible app to instantly convert videos to different audio formats such as MP3, WAV, M4A, OGG, AC3, AU, AIFF, MP2, FLAC, and MKA audio tracks.
Free Video to Audio Converter supports wide variety of video formats, apart from ripping audio from video files it also allows you to convert audio from one format to another.
3. 4k Video to MP3 : Free tool with simple user interface helps you to get audio from any video file instantly. 4k Video to MP3 is open source and cross platform utility, simply add video files with add video option and app will start converting to mp3 format.
An online service to convert audio and video to mp3 format. All you need to do is upload video or enter the url of the file you want to convert and select the other optional settings such as bitrate, audio frequency, audio channels etc. Online-converter.com supports over 50 different video and audio formats.