Yesterday at WWDC 2011 Apple demoed iOS 5 along with Mac OS X Lion & iCloud service, iOS 5 beta is immediately made available to registered developers of Apple iOS program to test & make their apps compatible with iOS 5.
iOS 5 comes with so many new features that it’s tempting to update iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad to iOS 5 Beta. Even we couldn’t resist our self from updating to iOS 5 beta to enjoy new features. No wonder there will be many such users who would have already installed iOS 5 beta on their iOS devices.
Thanks to limera1n bootrom exploit iOS 5 can be jailbreaked (tethered) on iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, 3G & iPad but for untethered users may need to wait for some time until new exploit found. If you are not happy with iOS 5 beta & want to go back to iOS 4.3.3 or older to get back untethered jailbreak & unlock then here is complete step by step guide for you.
Please keep in mind, once you update iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS to iOS 5 beta there will be no way to downgrade your baseband and you will also lose unlock. Since apple is still signing iOS 4.3.3 there is no need of saved SHSH but if you want to go back to iOS 4.3.2 or older firmware then you must have saved SHSH hashes.
You can find form Cydia for which firmware your iOS Device SHSH hashes are saved.
How to Downgrade iOS 5.0 to 4.3.3, 4.3.2, 4.3.1, 4.2.1, 4.1 on iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch & iPad
1. Download iOS 4.3.3, 4.3.2, 4.3.1, 4.3, 4.2.1, 4.1 IPSW file and save it on desktop
2. Connect your iOS device running iOS 5 beta to PC or Mac and switch off
3. Now follow below instructions to put your iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad in DFU Mode
Press and hold Home and Power Button together for 10 seconds, after 10 second release power button & keep holding home button for 25 seconds.
4. Once your iOS device is in DFU mode start iTunes and click on OK button iDevice in recovery mode alert.
5. Now if you downgrading to iOS 4.3.3 then go to step 8.
6. Those who want to downgrade to iOS 4.3.2 or older firmware will need to point Apple server ip to saurik’s Cydia server.
Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ and locate “hosts” file.
On Max OS X
Go to /etc folder
Now Open hosts file in any text editor and add following line
That’s it save hosts file.
7. In iTunes select your iOS device& press Shift (On Windows)/ Option (On Mac) key board key and click on “Restore” button.
8. iTunes will prompt for location of IPSW file, use browse and select iOS IPSW file and click on ok to start restore process.
9. It may take some time, if everything goes fine then your iOS device will reboot with downgraded firmware.
For some users iTunes may throw error and restore process doesn’t complete or your iPhone gets stuck at recovery mode showing “Connect to iTunes” screen.
Those users should download TinyUmbrella or RecBook to kick iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad out of recovery mode.
Please note: Saurik server still has some issues and iTunes may throw Error 3194 while attempting to restore to older firmware (iOS 4.3.2 or older). Unfortunately in this case there is no fix then retrying after some time.
We have tested about guide on iPod Touch 4G and successfully downgraded from iOS 5 Beta to iOS 4.3.3 and there shouldn’t be any issue in downgrading iOS 5 on iPhone 4, 3GS or iPad.