Apple iOS 4.1 Beta to improve signal bar display on iPhone has been released to iPhone developers; this could be shortest time when two iPhone firmwares has been released by Apple and this could also result in shortest unlock for iPhone if Apple patches the exploit used by Ultrasn0w 0.93 to unlock iOS 4.0 on iPhone 3G/3GS.
So it’s important for you to stay away from iOS 4.1 until iPhone dev team releases their unlock & jailbreak tools officially. Meanwhile if you are developer of apps for jailbroken iphones, can go ahead & update to iOS 4.1 and jailbreak iOS 4.1 iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2G with Redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta 5.
Update (22 September, 2010): iPhone Dev team has released Redsn0w 0.9.6 Beta 1 to Jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 3G & iPod Touch 2G.
WARNING: Do not try this method on final iOS 4.1 released on September 8th (check above update to jailbreak ios 4.1 final release). We will not be responsible for issues you may face by following below method, proceed at your own risk.
The guide was published for jailbreaking iOS 4.1 Beta 1 developer version on iPod Touch 2G.
iPod Touch 2G users can follow below guide to jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPod Touch 2G non-mc model.
How to Jailbreak iPod Touch 2G 4.1 iOS with Redsn0w
1. Download iOS 4.0 for iPod Touch 2G
2. Download iOS 4.1 for iPod Touch 2G (Needs Apple iPhone developer account)
3. Download iTunes 9.2
4. Download Redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta 5
Update: It seems many of you dont want to read entire article and blaming us for jailbreak not working. Hence we have removed all download links. If you still want to jailbreak your iPod Touch iOS 4.1 then make sure you read update part at the end of this article.
5. Update iPod Touch 2G to iOS 4.1 (Check out how to manually update iPod Touch)
6. Once you have updated iPod Touch 2G to iOS 4.1 start Redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta 5.
7. Click on Browse button and select iPod Touch 4.0 firmware for iPod Touch 2G (note it’s not iOS 4.1 but 4.0 ipsw file)(iPod2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw) downloaded in step 1.
8. Now Click on next and Redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta will prepare data for jailbreak.
9. Now select “Install Cydia” and if you want you can activate Multitasking, Battery Percentage & Homescreen wallpaper and click Next.
10. Now follow onscreen instructions and complete iPod Touch 2G 4.1 jailbreak process.
Your iPod Touch may reboot several time once completed add http://apt.saurik.com/cydia-3.7 repo to Cydia. Now enjoy your jailbroken iPod Touch 2G with iOS 4.1 !!!
Please Note: Do it at your own risk, we will not be responsible for any damage that may arise to your iPod Touch by following above guide.
You may like to check out:
iOS 4.1 final has been released & iPhone dev team has also updated redsn0w to support iOS 4.1 on iPhone 3G & iPod Touch 2G non-mc as well as mc model (tethered jailbreak).
iOS 4.2 Beta is released to developers