Hugely popular iPhone dev team’s tool Pwnagetool 4.0 has been released to let you to jailbreak iOS 4.0 on iPhone 3G, 3GS & iPod Touch 2G. The advanatgae of Pwnagetool 4.0 over Redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta 5 is that you can create custom firmware for iOS 4.0 and preserve baseband which can be unlocked using existing unlock tool even though there is now possible to unlock baseband 05.13.04 to Baseband 04.26.01.
Pwnagetool 4.0 is only available for Mac ad come with many restrictions and you should read all the instructions posted by iPhone dev team before proceeding for jailbreaking iOS 4.0 on iPhone 3G, 3GS & iPod Touch 2G with Pwnagetool 4.0.
Needless to say unsupported idevice for which iOS 4.0 is not available as upgrade are not supported by Pwnagetool 4.0, like
iPhone 2G, iPod Touch 1G and iPod Touch 3G.
Jailbreak iPhone 3GS 4.0 iOS with Pwnagetool 4.0
Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.
1. If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
2. If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0
Jailbreak iPhone 3G 4.0 iOS with PwnageTool 4.0
1. If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G at 3.1.2 (but not jailbroken with Spirit) then you should create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore from recovery mode or DFU mode.
2. If you have an out of the box iPhone 3G you should restore using a PwnageTool 4.0 ipsw using DFU mode.
3. If you have a Jailbroken 3.1.3 iPhone 3G it is very possible that this can fail from recovery mode, if this failure happens you will need to restore using DFU mode.
4. As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on iPhone 3G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
IMPORTANT! Whenever you need to enter DFU mode, you will need to do so using PwnageTool.
Jailbreak iPod touch 2G 4.0 iOS with PwnageTool 4.0
1. If you have an iPod touch 2G (non-MC model) that is jailbroken (but not with Spirit) then you can restore using recovery mode.
2. As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on non-MC iPod Touch 2G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
Once you got your iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS 4.0 jailbreaked you can use Ultrasn0w 0.93 to unlock your iPhone. Read our guide on how to Unlock iPhone 4.0 with Ultrasn0w 0.93.