iPhone OS 4.0 is all set to release at WWDC 2010, which will be third major OS update for iPhone & iPod Touch. iPhone OS 4.0 has many news features but some of most interesting features like multitasking won’t be available on iPod Touch 1G/2G & 3G & iPhone 3G and needless to say iPhone 2G is dead and won’t be supported for OS 4.0 officially.
If Apple decides to go like OS 3.0 release then iPhone OS 4.0 update won’t be free for iPod Touch users. In order to update iPod Touch to iPhone OS 3.0 firmware you had to pay $9.95 and $4.95 for iPhone 3.1 OS update. Well we know that’s pretty unfair with iPod Touch users & so only we are here with the guide on how to update iPod Touch to 4.0 firmware for free without paying a single penny.
How to Upgrade/Update iPod Touch to 4.0 OS for free
2. Download iPhone OS 4.0 using below links (Don’t use Safari or IE instead use Firefox to download firmware file. Use “Save As Link” Option to save the file on your machine. If saved file extension is .zip then change it to .ipsw).
Download iPhone OS 4.0 for iPod Touch 1G. (Coming Soon)
Download iPhone OS 4.0 for iPod Touch 2G. (Coming Soon)
Download iPhone OS 4.0 for iPod Touch 3G. (Coming Soon)
3. Connect iPod Touch to PC/Mac & Start iTunes.
4. Select iPod Touch from the device list.
5. Click on Restore while holding Shift (for PC) and Option (for Mac).
6. Now browse & locate 4.0 firmware (.ipsw) file downloaded in Step 2.
7. Do not disconnect till iTunes has completed updating your iPod Touch.
That’s it, Now enjoy your iPod Touch with 4.0 Firmware.